Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Slippers

The last 2 days have been REALLY nice weather! You don't even need a coat! Thursday I met with my friend Veronika (she came to Windsor on exchange..we go for lunch once a week) and after that I was planning on going to the library to study, but it was just SO nice out I couldn't justify couping myself up indoors when I knew this weather was going to be limited! So instead I bumped into a few friends and we just sat on these stairs in the middle of campus and talked for a couple hours. I met this new Canadian kid named Adrian and he's by far the funniest person I've met so far! He and this British guy were wearing huge russian hats on the warmest day yet! Anyway, while I was laying on the stairs I was looking up at the sky, and I thought about how you guys are looking at the same sky and how even across the world the sky looks the same..it made me feel really close to home :)
I also joined a political protest! They advised us against this, but it was peaceful! There was just been an election in Sweden last week and there was a racist party that 6% of hte pop voted for, thus gaining them a seat in the house and the cities have just gone crazy and are super upset at this. This political party wants to keep anyone who isn't a Swede out of Sweden (sounds a lot like Hitler, right). Anyway, we all met in the center of the city and just walked around the city and chanted to show the support for anti-racism. There were about 500 people in Jonkoping, but Goteburg had one with 5000, and Stockholm (the captial) had one with 10,000 people just the day after the election!


After the walk Johan and I decided to make dinner and oh my gosh I am SO proud of myself! I'm finally learning to cook (by force). Me Johan and Lina made potatoes and pork and I didn't even talk with my mouth open because I wanted to soak up the flavour!

Friday (yesterday) I had class early in the morning, but it was a really fun class! We had a mock business transaction and myself adn two others were acting as entrepreners (selling the stupidest business idea ever--a business that improves relationships w/ employees & custoemrs to retain current customers instead of getting new ones) selling our idea to 3 other "venture capitalists". I ended up single handedly convincing the venture capitalists to give us 15 million for 10% of the company. Well, when we started taking up the deals with the rest of the class other people got zero investments, 100,000 for 30%, 1 million for 50%...this led me to confirm that business is my true calling :)

The Slippers:
While I've been here I've really really really been missing my slippers! The ground is cold in my apartment and I hate walking with barefoot or only socks so I usually wear my boots, but my roommates are getting pissed at me because we'll clean the floors and then I'll just muck them up..so I've really really wanted my slippers from home. And yesterday I was walking down the street and in the window I saw the COZIEST pair of slippers! But they were 200 SEK ($30) and I stood there for a while comtemplating whether I was willing to spend that much on slippers. Finally, I justified the price and went in to buy them. When I got to the counter the cashier told me there was a sale and I got 100 SEK off! (15$) so they were only 15$! I swear that has been one of the happiest moments of my trip here!!

I finally found some foods from home! The most I can find is Nutella and Campbell's tomato soup, so last night I cozied up in my new slippers with some campbell's tomato soup and a movie :) Twas a good night!

1 comment: