Monday, September 13, 2010

I really suck at this blogging thing

I know it's been a while since I've updated, but now that school has started it's been super busy!

Well last Friday was my first Sweden "football" (aka soccer) game. Johan and I went to a little pizzeria we found to get pizza and watch the game. Of course, the menu was in Swedish so Johan had to translate and I told him that I only want pepperoni & cheese on my pizza and his mind was just blown--he could not understand it. So we get to the counter and he's like well how many pepperonis do you want? And I was like what do you mean? I can choose? And he pointed to what a pepperoni is in Sweden and it's that long, green hot pepper! It's the little cultural differences like that that make this experience so funny and different. Then we ate our pizza (which isnt NEARLY as good as North American pizza!) and watched the game!

Saturday we went to Gotenburg (pronounced Gothemburg). It's about two hours from Jonkoping and one of the girls, Elin, is from there, so she, Mikaela, Johan, and I drove down there on Saturday. Me and the girls did a little bit of shopping, went for a cute little lunch, met up with the rest of the crew and had dinner. Then Saturday nigght we met up with Johan and his friends and just hung out at his friends' apartment and learned a whole bunch of Swedish :)! Sunday we did a bit more shopping and then headed home. Gotenburg was beautiful, but while I was there I kept thinking of how much I missed Jonkoping. Jonkoping really is where my heart is at!

Sunday we started a tradition that will continue for our remainder of the time here: Family Dinner Sundays. All of us that live in Raslatt [Elin, Isabelle, Brett, Dereck, James, Joel, Johan, and my roommate AnnaKaren] made a big dinner on Sunday and had a family dinner which we'll do every Sunday from now on :)

The beginning of last week (monday and tuesday) I've been taking it really easy. Trying to keep up in my classes and making dinner with Joel, James, and Johan most nights. And of course, Wednesday night was the night out at the school pub Akadamien. So we all hung out at Derek's to preparty before going out and it was really fun! Akadamien is really cool because it's only students and you have to be a student to get in!

Joel and Johan left Thursday to Stockholm to visit their girfriends, so I'll be without my buddies for the weekend :(. Thursday was laundry day! Our laundry room is super scary and looks like a place out of a murder scene, so me and Annakaren made sure to do our laundry together. That literally took ALL DAY. But Thursday night was Taco night!! A bunch of us from Raslatt made a bunch of stuff for tacos and played authentic mexican music like gypsy kings in the background! It was really fun but everyone was in a food coma after eating so much!

Friday we played nightbowling! Kind of like rockinbowl or whatever it's called in Canada. It was a bunc hof us and our fadders (we still hang otu with them all the time) and it was fun even though I hate bowling. There were cool lights and really awesome music!!

Saturday we had an adventure day! I signed up for this trip that said "canoeing and horseback riding and bbq lunch" which was a VERY misleading sign! Especially since we only canoed for like 40 minutes max, and went horseback riding for the same amount of time. Also, I was in the "brave" group for horseback riding thinking we'd be galloping and we "jogged" maybe twice. And the bbq lunch we had to bring ourselves. And then the afternoon was games! Stupid "team building" games you play in grade 3. So I was pretty rattled, but the canoeing was really fun I just wish we did that a loooott mre. Saturday night we went to a place called "Huset" where they played LADY GAGA (upon request of course).

Sunday was another catch up day and I literally sat in my bed all day and did homework! My classes are pretty hard and I'm realizing I really need to get on top of this stuff!! But Sunday night we had another family dinner :) A little smaller this time though. We made stirfry and buns and rice, except no one knew how to make rice so it was more like mashed potatoe/gruel.

Today was SUCH a long day! I had my Macro class from 9-12 then had to meet with my group for our project [oh ya, we're starting a business here! discount cards for students for taxi rides!] and then more class! But i went to my first kick box class tonight :) It was so much fun!! I feel like I'm Rocky after just one class--which reminds me, the other day I went for a run and i was scoping out new paths and all of a sudden the air just smelled like such crap and then i turn the curve and there are like 30 COWS just in a field! And they literally all just stopped and stared at me. I kind of started to get worried cause I was like holy crap, do cows charge? Thankfully, they didnt and just watched me run by with their big fat ugly disgusting faces. But, tonight I just did homework all night :( It's definitely not kick off week any more! I actually have to start doing homework. But tonight I plan on watching stepbrothers which I rented for only $1.50! The guy wouldn't let me just buy it so I told him I'm just going to keep coming back and renewing my rental until he gets fed up and just lets me buy it!

Missing you guys and home lots lately!! <3

1 comment: