Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 3

Oh boyyyy it has been so busy here! Tuesday night we had a party at the school pub. People go out a bit earlier here--we went to the club at about 9 and couldn't even get in! It was funny I was meeting some of my friends at the school but I accidentally took the wrong bus from my apartment so I was on the bus and after a while I was like wait a minute, this doesn't look familiar any more. So I asked the bus driver if we already passed the school and he said that we had a long time ago. So I hopped off and got on the right bus. Then something weird happened. Thy keep telling us here that the Swedes are super shy and the won't talk to you or come up to you , but I was talking on the phone and a Swede (who I later discovered was named Arvid) came on the bus and he heard me speaking English so asked where I was from. Then we ended up talking the whole bus right and he was going to the same place I was so we got off together and he was really cool and outgoing! So maybe their lying about the shyness of the Swedes.

Yesterday we had to go to these boring sessions in the morning and up until I haven't had a "fadder" group. Apparently everyone got put in to them on Monday but I wasn't here yet. So I was with my friend Joel (he's sooo funny! He's from Switzerland) and he said I should just join his group. So I did! And I brought along my two Cdn friends Shannon and Emilee. Jonkoping U has 4 schools in it: Business, Communications, Engineering, and something else that I forget. So during his week each school has a different colour--my school is green--and everyone gets these coveralls that are the colour of your school. So everywhere you look is just studnets in these ridiculous get-ups. And the more parties you attend and fun stuff you do the more badges you get to put on your pants. I just got mine yesterday (finally) so I don't have any badges yet. Then we all took a bus to the stadium for some presntations. They gave us a crash course in Swedish and taught us all kinds of really neat things about the city! Apparently Jonkoping is a very entrepreneurial focus city--business is its background. I knew I belonged here! We are surrounded by three lakes--the one closest to me is Lake Vattern. My Swedish is actually get quite good! It's a very hard language to learn because it's a very liquid language. Everything they say sounds like one word and they skip letters so it's hard to understand but I can now ask where people are from, where things are, my name, and a bunch of other stuff. Actually, yesterday I spoke my first Swedish to a stranger! I asked the man at the store "Furstoar du Engelska" Which means do you understand English. he said yes, so I proceeded in Enlish ahaha! So at the end they had a big thank you to all the fadders. The fadders are like frosh leaders here. It was sooo cool! They just filled hte entire stadium and pretty much everyone inthe stadium danced and chanted and cheered to loud music and lights and smoke to thank them. There were a bunch of fadder girls that took off their shirts lol--but for the Swedes that's noting big.
After that we had to meet our fadder groups back at 6 because we were going to a beach party. So we met, then went to McDonalds which tastes much different here! The fries actually taste like potatoes! So then we all went to a preprty at one of the fadder's apts and then all went to a bar called centrum. It was so cold though and we wre all in shorts! It was SOOOO much fun! Especially b/c it's kickoff week everywhere is just so packed!
I also went for a run yesterday to discover the area and I got lost--of course,but fond my way home. It's PERFECT running weather here! It's full out fall!
Miss you guys at home but I'm have an incredible time

No comments:

Post a Comment