Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 2

Well, day two began a little later than I had hoped. I just bought a cell phone yesterday and had set the alarm to wake me up at 6:30 this morning so I'd be on time for our courses meeting at 8 at the school. But of course, I switched up the am and pm so woke up at 8:30. I didn't really worry about it, though--in fact, I haven't been worrying about anything that hasn't gone perfectly here. I've been very relaxed here because I know that everything will work itself out--besides, all I've got is time! So, today when I got to school and told the woman that I missed my session she assured me it wouldn't be a problem. After 2 and a half hours of waiiting I wanted to smack myself in the face because if I had been on time I would have been out of there by 9:30! Oh well. So then my friends and I went to go get tickets for the pool party this Friday. Apparently it's a huge deal--1600 tickets are being sold and 900 have already been sold! When I was waiting in line I met a bunch of Canadians (2 from Windsor!!) and then they introduced me to some Australians that I am very much looking forward to partying with tonight! We then all took a trip to the liquor store (where liquor is about $5 more expensive for each item than it is in Cda). And people just walk around with open alcohol here--the guy didn't even give me a bag for anything so I felt like a barbarian walking around with it in my hand. Everything here is in Swedish (Duh, right?) but I didn't expect that! I thought they'd at least have English subtitles on everything. Yesterday in the grocery store Sam (from Chicago) and I couldn't decide which carton was milk and which was yogurt because they looked the exact same! Buying groceries is a joke and I guess on half of the stuff I pick up--the only thing I'm always sure about is the fruit! There have been a lot of activities going on at the school (I've missed half of them because I forget even though we have a clear schedule). I don't know how two such organized parents gave birth to SUCH a scatterbrain! I now finally have my internet set up, although having my computer plugged in is sure to start a fire any second (I can smell the burn coming from my adapter). I'm about to go for a run around my little neighbourhood. It's really cute with little trails and stuff around the apartments buildings. People say this is the ghetto, but I think they mean that in the sense that peopl who aren't students in these buildings may not have a lot of money--but I understand because it's expensive to live here! Rent is cheap (only about 380/month and includes everything--even a pool and a gym), but food and transportation is a bit more expensive than in Cda. Tonight there is some event going on at some club--I never really focus on logistics, but I plan on attending with my new Australian friends (and the Canadian ones too!). Missing my friends and family at home big time, but loving this city!

2 comments:

  1. Love you Alyssa. Be safe. I'm watching.
    Grampa Lenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great second day sweetie! I see you're having trouble making friends?? Knew this could be a problem.. lol :P Hey, looks like we can skype with my new iphone! :)

    mom

    ReplyDelete